Monday, March 29, 2010

journals and memory


a childhood memory:

I think I was in second grade (I remember my childhood by grade, not by age). Three girls had been teasing me every day on the playground for a week straight. These girls were bigger, older and meaner. I didn't know them. I didn't know why they picked on me.

I told my teacher, and she did nothing. She said, "Just avoid them." That didn't help.

I told the recess aide. She said, "Try to stay away from them." They didn't get it. The girls were seeking me out, like I was a rabbit and they had just bought a bow.

I told my mom. I'll never forget her advice: "If nobody is willing to help you, then take it into your own hands. Solve the problem yourself."

What do you mean, mom?

"You shouldn't start fights, and you shouldn't hit girls. But I'm giving you permission this one time. The next time they start something, give one of them a good, hard push. Then clench your fists and be ready to fight. I promise they'll leave you alone."

I did just that. I don't think I ever saw those girls again.


things that pleased me:
1. those chicken tenders at Dooley's
2. the smell of Lisa's shampoo
3. driving and listening to my new CD, with very little traffic
4. eggs and bacon on Sunday morning
5. sleeping in on Monday
6. planning my trip to Montana
7. jogging around the lake under the sun
8. drinking wine and reminiscing about Paris
9. kissing Lisa goodbye

things I didn't like:
1. being told I was in charge of interviews at work
2. planning for my new class
3. watching Duke beat Baylor with the refs' help
4. listening to Lisa get mad about my comment
5. Lisa rolling over
6. realizing I didn't know how to work my new DVD player
7. thinking about Easter without Lisa
8. hearing that my soccer player may not play this year
9. realizing that I'm out of milk




No comments:

Post a Comment